Pages

28.3.03

HighlightsSoFar

Oh man, Wellington is gorgeous. I have a small fear of taking photos here, as none could ever do it justice. In comparison... well, it's a bit like San Francisco with its artistically structured and painted houses and art studios up on the hills of Mt. Victoria. I'm staying at a hostel that reminds me of Haight and Ashbury. The harbor is a bit Seattle with sunny skies and a bit old New England harbor village, like Newport. I am blissfully and slowly exploring...


Some of the things I've done and seen so far: taken the Cable car up to Kelburn, which affords a panoramic view of the harbor and city, then allows for a leisurely walk back down through the botanical gardens. Gone to Te Papa, which is a free museum focusing on New Zealand artists and Maori culture, twice. This is where I saw the Lord of the Rings exhibit (having always enjoyed learning of the complications, alterations and triumphs of production, this was interesting). Walked along the scenic harbor and watched the dolphins playing just out of reach. Explored the hidden avenues and glimpsed several hillside churchs.


I have been near tears several times at the sheer joy of my solitude. First time in 23 years that I've been alone and it's like heaven. This is in no way to offend the dear ones I have spent those 23 years with, it's just... oh to be able to walk slowly, or run, turn down Cuba St and then change my mind and walk in a different direction. I feel so free. I can decide, choose, reconsider. No one is trying to keep up or has to wait. It's so strange. Wonderfully, rewardingly foreign to me. I imagine you only children know how I feel. And I needed this solitude. It is already mending me tremendously.


Until Auckland...

No comments: