Pages

3.7.03

Boys in the Trees

The air in Northern Queensland is warm and gummy. It hangs on your skin like honey. Drapes you in toxic sweetness and heat.


I'm on Magnetic Island right now. Off the coast of Townsville. Just like New Hut on Koh Samui I'm sleeping in an A-frame hut. Tropical and lush. This morning I saw a Kookabura outside my door. He bobbed his head around like he owned the place. I guess he used to. His head looked too big for his beautifully sculpted body and neatly layered feathers. An incredibly hip bird. His fuzzy flatop slicked back like a six year old boy just out of the pool and away from mum's comb. Elvis in infancy.


Jotting down notes for my post I am sitting on an elevated level above the shore. With a perfect view of the coral reef. (That famous one) The sand is bright and light, like frosted glass, shattered. The water is a tempting ultramarine along the beach and then about 50 meters out drops off into death and darkness. Well, death for those who dare to walk too far, or life for those who make the ocean floor their home. The ocean would like you to know; it can reclaim you at any moment.


Went for a short bush walk today. Koalas dangled their arms from the trees lazily. Languid and charming little fellows. Maybe I can sneak one home...

No comments: