Pages

13.4.03

My time in Auckland is winding down. Gwill today mentioned that our relationship never falters, given an extended absence. It was nice to have my thoughts confirmed. It's been wonderful to share this time with him. Yesterday we drove out to Karekare beach with some of his flatmates. The peaceful nature of the beaches here is astounding. Nature walks right up to the doorstep of the ocean. There are no strip malls, no tacky hotels. It's pure and gorgeous. The misty spray of the water lifted from the shore and blanketed the dancing seagrass and looming cliffs. Last night the band Gwill manages, The Midnights, played a gig at a downtown cafe/bar. (NZ is definitely a cafe culture.) They are a reggae roots style band, and though it's not my dish as far as the genre, they were fantastic.


Gwill's graduation was last week. I was grateful to stumble into that occasion. It was a succint, brief ceremony but very poignant. Some of the speeches were given in Maori, the indigenous language, and then translated. Even still each speaker was concise.


Friday Gwill, Robyn (Gwill's mother) and I took a ferry to Waiheke Island. Here's a site where you can find info on Waiheke Island. We hired a car and drove through the dense forest, along the unspoiled beaches and into the seemingly Tuscan vineyards. At the Te Whau vineyard we stopped for lunch in their cafe overlooking the bay. Decadent. It was lovely to see Robyn (it's been six years) and she invited me to stay with her in Napier when I pass by. That will be a welcomed comfort by that point.


I'm off to the South Island late next week. I am thrilled but,


Missing you all.

No comments: