Pages

28.4.03

stars in the trees guide my way

My last day in Greymouth was uneventful. Everything was closed except the market, which was good because I needed to load up on groceries. The next opportunity to truly shop will be in Queenstown, which was about five days away. My new driver was Gail, who is a newbie at the whole bus driver gig, but a lot of fun. She used to be a teacher, but needed a change of pace. Quite a change of pace. From running after a dozen elementary kids to driving a huge bus full of 50 of them!


Lake Manhinapua was the stop last night. In the middle of nowhere, this hotel is bordered with beauty. On one side is the pristine west coast beach, where I watched a cloudless sunset. Another side are the verdant pastures full of grazing sheep. To the south is a view of Mt Cook ("cloud piercer" to the Maoris) and the southern alps. On the east is a dense forest path leading to Lake Manhinapua. I walked down here with the last of the sun's rays. (Think Snow White lost in the woods and you're close to my experience) I sat at the quiet, quiet lake and breathed in the relief of solitude, mesmerized by the perfect reflection of the alps in the water. Walking back through the trees, at an excelerated speed, I noticed in the moss running along the bottom of the forest and in the trees themselves were countless gloworms. Suddenly my panic turned to wonderment and I slowed down. It was magical to be led on a path illuminated by tiny glowing creatures. As I near the exit of the shaded greenery the ocean roared through the leaves. Surreal and lovely.


After driving through the tiny mining town of Ross earlier, I've landed in Franz Joseph. I just caught a glimpse of the neve of the glacier here, but I'm catching a shuttle to the smaller township of Fox. They have a similar setup and an equally brilliant glacier, but the town has a quaint alpine feel. It's nice to be separating from the group once again.


There will be lots to say about the glacier I'm sure. I'll try to get up to see it twice for photos and inspiration.

No comments: